Things that don’t fit anywhere else. I used to edit the “Lessons of History” series for the International Journal: Canada’s Journal of Global Policy Analysis and have previously been book review editor for the Journal of American East Asian Relations, founded by the late Anthony Cheung, and for activehistory.ca. Also on the executive of the Canadian Council for Southeast Asian Studies. In 2007 I was part of the Solidarity Observer Mission for East Timor parliamentary elections.In 2015 I had the privilege of accepting the Order of Timor-Leste on behalf of the East Timor Alert Network/Canada.
Currently I’m on the international advisory council of the Centro Nacional Chega!, the Timor-Leste centre for truth and reconciliation, an associate of the L.R. Wilson Institute for Canadian History at McMaster University, and a senior fellow at the Bill Graham Centre for Contempory International History at the University of Toronto.
Book reviews include Phoenix: The Life of Norman Bethune, for The China Beat; The Politics of Official Apologies, for h-humanrights; Peranakan’s Search for National Identity: Biographical Studies of Seven Indonesian Chinese, for h-nationalism; and others.
I maintain several web sites to share primary documents relevant to current research projects. These are:
- Canadian documents related to the East Timorese independence struggle (1975-99) at http://foetca.blogspot.ca/
- Documents produced by the Canada China Programme and the Canada Asia Working Group (1970s-1990s) at http://transpacificchurches.blogspot.ca/
- Documents relating to the Six Nations (Iroquois) Confederacy’s appeal to the League of Nations (1920s) at http://sixnationsappeal.blogspot.ca/
- Documents on the Bandung African-Asian conference of 1955, https://bandung60.wordpress.com/
- Memory, truth, and reconciliation in Southeast Asia, collaborative project web site at https://memorytruthreconciliation.wordpress.com/workshop/